Brand new summer Joomla! 3.6 was officially released a day ago.
Version 3.6 comes with small, but numerous bug fixes and enhancements. There are many nice little features added to the system’s admin panel. At first glance users notice the bigger logo at the panel’s top right corner and the page title new order. Until recently page title in Joomla! 3.5 was ordered this way: Website name – Administration – Control Panel, while now in 3.6 version it is like that: Control Panel – Website name – Administration.
Many texts and option descriptions have been deleted or edited so as to present information more coherently. Some elements such as select options, buttons, links, content framing options or icons have been aligned or justified.
Drop-down options are now hidden until the main option to which they belong gets activated. For example, when you go to the Site Settings section in Global Settings, Offline Message and Custom Message will stay hidden until you activate the Site Offline mode.
Version 3.6 attracts users’ interest with the improved update system, Categories on the fly and the Delete All caching option (deletes all current cache groups).
Here are some enhancements that are definitely worth the screenshot:
In the Caching Page now there is not only a Delete, but also a new Delete All button. You can use it to clear the whole cached data from all groups. This saves time from selecting the cached groups and clicking the old Delete button.
Delete All clears the cache for the Site or Administrator preview.
A Category will be created when the new Category is selected and the changes are saved. After that the new Category will be displayed in the Category list.
It will be created on a basic level. To change the directory’s hierarchical position, use the settings in Category Manager menu.
There are a few improvements n the Joomla! Update Component. (Components -> Joomla! Update). Two new features have been added: Reinstall and Upload & Update.
The Reinstall Joomla core files feature might be used for reinstalling Joomla! This means that new system files are downloaded and reinstalled. Old files will be overwritten and all made changes won’t exist after the reinstallation.
The Upload & Update feature might help you upgrade Joomla! by using an installation package downloaded to your PC. (The update package is available on the Joomla! website). Afterwards select Browse and install it by using this feature.
- The default logs, directory used by system has been moved to /administrator/logs.
- New option in Menus -> All Menu Items, which helps you make a quick review of elements in the menus, easy to spot duplicated or missing links.
- New option for giving access rights and management of menu types in the admin panel. Settings are made from the new tab Menu Permissions, which is available from Menus -> Manage -> Menus (for example Menu Type: aboutjoomla).
- There is a new drop-down menu for tasking items to categories.
- The following external libraries are updated: TinyMCE, jQuery, jQuery Migrate and CodeMirror.
- Summary of the improvements and bug fixes in Joomla! 3.6 is available here.
Before updating to 3.6, we highly recommend that you make a full website backup. The time necessary for a backup might later occur to be precious time saved from restoring your website to its previous state. Also, make sure that the installed extensions are fully compatible with the new Joomla! version.